Monday, May 17, 2010

The Life of an Extraordinary Lady, Part 1

Dear Friends,
Thank you so much for visiting our little blog. I was hesitant to start one - I was afraid I would be giving a party and I would be the only one to show up! So I appreciate your interest in our blog and your reading this story. I hope you will enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together. I will post my sources at the end of the last part.


The Life of an Extraordinary Lady, Part 1

Why ships are always referred to in the kinder, gentler gender, I really don’t know for certain. There are several opinions wafting through cyberspace. One is that ships, like ladies, need loads of powder and paint to keep her looking good. (I don’t really like that one.) Another is that early sailors would name their boats after the girl they left behind when they went to sea. My personal favorite is the one that compares ships and women on their ability to carry far more than their own weight, nurture those who look to her for sustenance, and provide safe haven for all who depend on her.

I’d like to add another thought – women, who sometimes appear delicate and frail, are often forced to serve in circumstances they would probably rather not serve. They may even feel that they were not designed or created to fulfill such a task. As a proud, retired Army wife, I look to the hundreds of thousands of women who are holding down the fort while their husbands and the fathers of their children are fighting a war way across the world. I don’t dare ignore that we also have thousands of ‘Army Husbands’ as well, who say bedtime prayers with their children by themselves because Mom could easily be in harm’s way that night. I use the Army family as but one example of all military families who unselfishly serve against tyranny and protect our freedom. In my experience as a Cold War Warrior’s wife, I am most familiar with the strengths of women, young and not so young, who take on countless roles when their husbands are deployed. Likewise, beautiful, seemingly-fragile ships have often times been called into service for which their designers and builders never dreamed.

I have discovered one such Lady, a grand yacht that has served many diverse purposes. She is, in the truest sense of the title, An Extraordinary Lady.

Please visit us tomorrow to find out more about this formidable Lady who, at 79 years of age, still sails the ocean blue in magnificent style.

No comments:

Post a Comment