Sunday, July 25, 2010

Two Cowgirls and a Misfit

You would think that in our fourth year here, we would have experienced everything there is to do by now at Deer Valley Ranch. Well, as Trail Boss Harold says, if you try to do everything they offer here in one week, it’ll kill you. So Tuesday morning I got to do something brand new to me.

 
Mariah and one of my nieces were going on the Cogan’s Ranch ride. This particular ride is not a trail ride like most other trail rides. The riders are permitted by a local ranch owner to walk, jog and sometimes lope their horses through a huge pasture and into a Pinion Pine forest. The fun thing is that you get to make your own trail. Jeff was planning to go with the girls, but he wasn’t feeling up to it. Early Tuesday morning I made arrangements with the wranglers for me to take his place. (And being the benevolent guys they are, they allowed me to do that. More evidence of how wonderful they are!)


The first thing that happens is that the wranglers load up the horses in trailers to drive out to Cogan’s Ranch. I find that a fascinating part of the whole thing. Horses are naturally claustrophobic, but somehow the ultra-talented wranglers over the years have managed to train Deer Valley horses and mules to just walk right in. Then we riders pile in the trucks for the short ride out to the pasture.


So for two hours, between Mt. Princeton and Mt. Antero, the girls and I got to pretend we were real cowgirls. I think my favorite part was watching these two girls that I love so much socialize with the other girls on the ride, which in itself isn’t too unusual, but they were doing it on horseback. They would gather with a few other girls, talk and laugh for a minute, and the next thing I knew, they would go flying by me to get to the front of the pack. And then they would repeat. Now call me sentimental, but when I see my girlies enjoying themselves like that, and I see the looks of pure delight on their faces, their hair trailing behind them as it is caught by the wind, it really makes me hope that their grandmothers in heaven can see how beautiful they are. It is one of the most sacred moments I experience as a mom and an aunt. God must love me a lot to let me be a part of these young lives.


On the way back to the horse trailer, our two perspective sons-in-law, uh, I mean, wrang-u-lers allowed us to jog some and lope some. I loved watching the girls lope (or gallop). When their horses lope, they revel in it. When mine lopes, I hang on for dear life! Kind of reminds me of one of those roller coasters that shoots out of the loading area at 60 mph. Rock-n-Rollercoaster anyone?


During our ride I was attempting to take some pictures. Since I was mostly snapping pictures while my horse moved, some of the pictures didn’t turn out exactly as I’d hoped. I got some good pictures of the ground, a really clear shot of a horse’s head but no rider, and I have several of the back of Sage’s head and ears. Sage was my horse for that ride. I did manage to get a few good ones, and I’ll post them here.

Shoofly the Mule and Favorite Wrangler #1 having a talk while Dustin loads somebody  into the trailer.


 
Loading the horses into the trailer at Deer Valley Ranch.


Our Super Excellent Head Wrangler, Dustin, giving us 'the talk' before we ride.



My two beauties, their horses, and Sage's head.


For these two, this is what Deer Valley Ranch is all about.

 
Our new friend Brenda and authentic-looking cowboy Matt.


A real horsewoman, Mariah and her favorite horse, Misty.


Cowboy Matt from Texas and a beautiful Colorado Sky.


A Nameless Wrangler who is a fantastic trick rider.
Yes, his horse is moving while he stands there.


One of these things is not like the other.
As promised, Two Cowgirls and a Misfit - me.


Our last picture at Cogan's Ranch.
Notice the future wrangler holding Shoofly, Brenda's mule.


We got back to the ranch in time for Mexican Buffet – a legend in the annals of Deer Valley History. I love all of Sue’s cooking, but if we had Mexican Buffet every day, I’d be happy. Another legend here is Sue’s Peach Punch. Now you have to know that every day she makes a different punch. But every day, Jeff asks for Peach Punch. Well today, one of our super excellent hostesses managed to procure Jeff a top secret glass of Peach Punch. We’ve decided to adopt her.



Tuesday afternoon was a restful time. The rain was falling a little bit, which dictated that I have a nap. So I did. I was able to work up an appetite with my nap. Dinner was homemade pizza. The kids sat at one table, the teens at another, and adults got to sit with other adults and have adult conversation.

We sat with some Texans, a native of Vermont who once lived in Texas (She told a hysterical story about tying dogs around her waist to protect her from snakes while hanging out laundry. It became even funnier when someone at the table with us didn’t understand that she tied their leashes around her waist, not the actual dogs themselves.), and a lady from South Africa. What a great dinner it was. As always, the food was over the top, and the company was just as satisfying. Sitting with a group of adults who share your faith while on vacation is a real treat. There is no profanity, there are no crude and offensive jokes. Just Jesus loving people who know how to have fun.

Guests also have the option to choose the Steak Ride on Tuesday evening. Harold takes riders up the Colorado Trail to a clearing where a steak dinner is cooked and served by the staff, followed by some Harold-driven entertainment. Harold reminds me of Wilford Brimley, the Quaker Oats man, except he has a very good sense of humor. After dinner the group makes its way back to the ranch via a pretty steep path down the ridge – lots of switchbacks, but well worth it when you see the Colorado sunset.


John’s history talk takes place every Tuesday night. We try not to ever miss that. He seems to know everything about every Colorado explorer, every Colorado town, and every Colorado mine there is. Last night was my 4th history talk to hear, and each one has been different. I’m dying to put together a home school field trip out here and let our kids experience a real historian.


After the history talk, we uncharacteristically did not go to bed but went into Buena Vista in search of a high speed internet signal. Never did find a good one, but we got some fabulous ice cream at K’s Dairy Delight.

Oh, one thing about Buena Vista. The lady who named the town was not of Hispanic descent. She named it to be pronounced with a ‘ue’ sound, like in the word Beulah, not with a ‘w’ sound. And Vista is to be pronounced with a short ‘i’ sound, not ‘veesta’. So if you think you hear the locals mispronouncing it, well, it’s us from the outside that don’t know how to say it.


And then we caught some z’s.


1 comment: